simple LDAP for address book?

Chris Thielen cmthielen at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jul 13 16:14:26 UTC 2009

I've had luck setting up the OpenLDAP server (sibling of Fedora
Directory Server) and getting Thunderbird to read names out of it,
though I never tried writing back to it, or working with a single
address book versus one global address book.

It's a bit difficult at first because you have to understand that LDAP
uses a tree structure, so e.g. if you wanted to have per-account
address books in LDAP, you would need to configure each client's base
DN appropriately, e.g.
ou=AddressBook,ou=UserName,ou=People,dc=server,dc=com, or however you
decide to organize it. That string path is a tree map, with each
proceeding entry acting as a sibling to the one that comes next. The
idea is kind of like DNS, e.g. 'com' is the master of 'server', which
is the master of 'People', which has a 'UserName', who has a subtree
'AddressBook'. OpenLDAP's /etc/ config file lets you specify different
usernames and passwords to access different parts of the tree. I'm
sure if you decide one day to use LDAP for single sign-on, you can use
those credentials as the address book credentials too.

It is a bit difficult but I wouldn't say it's overkill any more so
than IMAP is overkill compared to local mail delivery, and it's
definitely the open standards way to do networked address books, imo.