where's my memory?

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Jul 15 02:07:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 06:01:57PM +0200, Joerg Bergmann wrote:
> Am 14.07.2009 16:39, schrieb Alan Cox:
> >On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 07:43:06 -0400
> >Neal Becker<ndbecker2 at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >
> >>I have a argument with another user about memory.  He claims that on
> >>running
> >>linux on his 4G Dell machine, top only reports 3.something memory, he says
> >>the missing space is for pci bus.  I think this is only because he's
> >>running
> >>32 bit and that 64 bit would give all the memory.
> >
> >Plenty of chipsets don't support mapping the RAM covered by the PCI
> >window up to the end of memory, especially older ones.
> >

> Just a remark: On my fedora 11 system (phenom II, 4GB RAM,
> 32 bit, PAE) top reports 3.9GB RAM. On my opinion, this is
> thanks to PAE.
>
> Joerg

Ah, just the config I'm building from new parts, as we speak. Glad
to hear PAE takes care of th at issue.

I'm planning to stay 32-bit just because of the various issues that I've
heard about with things like lack of 64-bit-compatible browser plugins,
etc., etc. It's just my personal box for reading mail and playing with,
so it's no huge deal to remain 32-bit.

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us