where to put 'echo 1 > .../ip_forward ???

I seem to recall that there is a preferred place to put lines
like
        echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

in the input scripts. But where?

Ive put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but Im sure that there is a
better place (like a place I would look for it at a later date)

Thoughts?
--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg dwf com