Applications Dock functionality (launcher, lister, switcher combined), no eye candy required?

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 15 14:16:08 UTC 2009

Hi!

I am looking for an application which can function as
applications dock (combined functions of applications launcher,
lister and switcher), similar to OS X dock, but I don't need the
eye candy (transparency, 3d effect, icon enlargement, bouncing
icon, etc.) (in fact, when I use OS X, I set its dock visual
effect to minimum). I actually prefer low weight low resources
application, something like WindowMaker's application dock (not
its widget dock) but works well with other desktop environment
(i.e. can do drag & drop). It should also available in various
distro, but specifically at present I need it to run in Fedora.

I tried Docker, but when I run it nothing show up in the screen.
I tried SimDock, but it has several issues (does not seems to
show an application is running, has errors, does not work well
with GNOME). I tried GNOME Do (to get its Docky) but it has
error (Failed to contact configuration server) that I still
debug. Avant WM and CairoDock seems to be too heavy weight (need
composited screen).

Any other suggestion? Thanks!

--
    ____  ____  ____  ____ (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo