Re: grub Q

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 22:13:27 -0400
Gene Heskett <gene heskett verizon net> wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> I have added another drive, making 4 sata drives now, and installed a
> 64 bit distro on it, but didn't let the installer overwrite my dual
> boot setup on /dev/sda1.
>
> Is it sufficient to add the new drives that aren't actually in the
> /boot/grub/device.map how, in their logical order, or must a new
> grub-install be done?

If I understand your question, you just have to add a stanza in the
menu.lst of the boot partition on /dev/sda1 pointing to the boot
partition of the new install.  Well, you did install the boot
information on a boot partition on the new drive I assume (the
installer asks you if you want to do that instead of overwriting the
MBR).

Here is the stanza I use, but I have seen other people on the list say
they use chainloader +1.

title Fedora 11 sata 1 boot 1
  root (hd2,0)
  configfile /grub/menu.lst

If you don't have a separate boot partition, the second line has to be
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst