F11 upgrade - worse than Windows

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Thu Jul 16 20:11:39 UTC 2009

Peter J. Stieber wrote:
> PS = Pete Stieber
> PS>> So your feeling is I should abort the
> PS>> currently stuck install?
>
> KC = Kevin J. Cummings
> KC> If you can't find out what's been installed
> KC> and what isn't, yes, I'd abort and try again.
> KC>  Seems I always end up doing that anyways.  B^)
> KC>
> KC> 24x80 is *not* enough buffer space on any of
> KC> the 3 log screens to be able to scroll back
> KC> and see information that has scrolled off the
> KC> screen.  Seems that's always what happens, by
> KC> the time you find the right screen to look at,
> KC> the useful information has scrolled off the top
> KC> of it.
>
> PS>> Can anyone tell me what anaconda does during a
> PS>> GUI install after it reads...
> PS>>
> PS>> N of N packages completed
> PS>>
> PS>> in the background, and
> PS>>
> PS>> Finishing upgrade process.  This may take a little while...
>
> KC> Could be just package cleanup (ie deleting the
> KC> OLD RPMs from the db, cleaning up the grub.conf
> KC> file, etc.)  Or it could be actually starting
> KC> to run the transaction in which case its only
> KC> starting to install the N packages....
> KC>
> KC> Can you see if the new kernel is in your grub.conf?
>
> It is.
>
> KC> If you chroot to your /mnt/sysimage, does rpm -qa
> KC> show the new RPMS as installed?  Does it show any
> KC> of your old ones too?
>
> # chroot /mnt/sysimage
> # rpm -qa | grep fc10
> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - no such file or directory
> error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
> error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
>
> Does this indicate what the problem is?

No, your current install probably has the db open for write access....
Depending on what you had installed under f10 (a lot of kernels?) it
could take a while to reconstruct your db.

At this point I'd try rebooting and see if you can boot the new kernel....

If so, try a yum-complete-transaction to see if anything needs cleaning
up.  You might find a few things that need cleaning up...
At best, you might not find any problems....  Absolute worst, is you
can't boot at all and need the rescue disk to recover. but it looks like
the bulk of the install finished.

Also, remember if you have RPM problems after the reboot, try:

	cd /var/lib/rpm
	rm -f __*
	rpm --rebuilddb

And if your rebuild hangs, try it with a number of -v options, log the
output, and post it here....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com