F11 upgrade - worse than Windows

Peter J. Stieber developer at toyon.com
Thu Jul 16 20:33:51 UTC 2009

PS = Pete Stieber

KC = Kevin J. Cummings
KC>>> If you can't find out what's been installed
KC>>> and what isn't, yes, I'd abort and try again.
KC>>>  Seems I always end up doing that anyways.  B^)
KC>>>
KC>>> 24x80 is *not* enough buffer space on any of
KC>>> the 3 log screens to be able to scroll back
KC>>> and see information that has scrolled off the
KC>>> screen.  Seems that's always what happens, by
KC>>> the time you find the right screen to look at,
KC>>> the useful information has scrolled off the top
KC>>> of it.

PS>>> Can anyone tell me what anaconda does during a
PS>>> GUI install after it reads...
PS>>>
PS>>> N of N packages completed
PS>>>
PS>>> in the background, and
PS>>>
PS>>> Finishing upgrade process.  This may take a
PS>>> little while...

KC>>> Could be just package cleanup (ie deleting the
KC>>> OLD RPMs from the db, cleaning up the grub.conf
KC>>> file, etc.)  Or it could be actually starting
KC>>> to run the transaction in which case its only
KC>>> starting to install the N packages....
KC>>>
KC>>> Can you see if the new kernel is in your grub.conf?

PS>> It is.

KC>>> If you chroot to your /mnt/sysimage, does rpm -qa
KC>>> show the new RPMS as installed?  Does it show any
KC>>> of your old ones too?

PS>> # chroot /mnt/sysimage
PS>> # rpm -qa | grep fc10
PS>> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - no such file or directory
PS>> error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
PS>> error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
PS>>
PS>> Does this indicate what the problem is?

KC> No, your current install probably has the db
KC> open for write access....
KC> Depending on what you had installed under f10
KC> (a lot of kernels?) it could take a while to
KC> reconstruct your db.

I remove old kernels using rpm -e.

KC> At this point I'd try rebooting and see if
KC> you can boot the new kernel....

I rebooted and the machine is running 2.6.29.5-191.fc11.i586, but there
were a lot of complaints during the boot.

KC> If so, try a yum-complete-transaction to see
KC> if anything needs cleaning up.  You might find
KC> a few things that need cleaning up...
KC> At best, you might not find any problems...
KC> Absolute worst, is you can't boot at all and
KC> need the rescue disk to recover. but it looks like
KC> the bulk of the install finished.

I rebooted before I read this.  At the prompt I ran

# yum clean all
# yum update

And it updated a bunch of packages with the fc10 versions.  Time to
cleanup ;-)

KC> Also, remember if you have RPM problems after
KC> the reboot, try:
KC>
KC> 	cd /var/lib/rpm
KC> 	rm -f __*
KC> 	rpm --rebuilddb
KC>
KC> And if your rebuild hangs, try it with a number
KC> of -v options, log the output, and post it here....

Thanks for all of the help Kevin.

What can I do to start obtaining fc11 rpms with yum?

Pete