f11 upgrade question

Hello list,
I was trying to upgrade from f10 to f11 (from DVD) but am getting a "insufficient disk space" message after the "preparing transaction" step gets to 90%. I have a 10G disk with df showing 1.9G avail.
Any way to get the upgrade to finish?
Is 10G now too small?
I think the disk just has f10 and stuff to get mplayer working.
I know that fresh install is the recommended path but getting all the mplayer deps installed is just too painfull to go thru again, if I can help it.
Thx,
Bill