good external hard drives (e.g. WD Elements)?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 10:10:54 UTC 2009

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:

> On 07/16/2009 09:58 AM, Tim wrote:
>> Now I'm wondering what can be trusted as a medium for removable backups.
>> I much prefer the notion of something like a drive that carries
>> uncompressed copies of files, for direct access to a backup.  Rather
>> than serial access tapes, or terribly slow multi-DVD collections.
>
> I found USB drives to be hugely unreliable. I ended up removing the
> disks from their enclosures and using them inside the main computer
> chassis, like a normal drive.
>
> I think something is buggy with the USB drive implementation, though I
> don't know what exactly (kernel driver, enclosure electronics, who
> knows...)

I have been using a Seagate FreeAgent Go external usb drive for this purpose
for some time and has worked flawlessly.  When I got the drive I simply
re-partitioned it with ext3 from scratch, and removed all trace of the
Windows one-touch backup system in the process.

Plugging in to F10 and F11 based systems under Gnome works just fine and I
run backups based on rsync (and rdiff-backup).

The drive is physically small and neat and the only minor issue is the short
usb lead that comes with the drive.