Network guru please help: baffled by missing file

The mirrorlist entry in my Fedora-11 /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-update.repo
reads:
mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-
f$releasever&arch=$basearch

As far as I can see, this means that yum is looking for
the file metalink at mirrors.fedoraproject.org ?

If I try "sudo yum update" I get:
-----------------------------------
[tim elizabeth ~]$ sudo yum update
Loaded plugins: aliases, allowdowngrade, auto-update-debuginfo,
basearchonly, changelog, downloadonly, fastestmirror, filter-
              : data, keys, list-data, merge-conf, post-transaction-actions,
presto, priorities, protect-packages,
              : protectbase, refresh-packagekit, refresh-updatesd, remove-
with-leaves, rpm-warm-cache, security, show-leaves,
              : tsflags, upgrade-helper, verify, versionlock
Error: Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: updates. Please verify its
path and try again
-----------------------------------
Adding --noplugins does not help:
-----------------------------------
[tim elizabeth ~]$ sudo yum --noplugins update
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
updates. Please verify its path and try again
-----------------------------------

Trying to get the file with wget:
-----------------------------------
[tim elizabeth ~]$ wget https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink
--2009-07-17 13:04:41--  https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink
Resolving mirrors.fedoraproject.org... 209.132.176.122
Connecting to mirrors.fedoraproject.org|209.132.176.122|:443... connected.
ERROR: certificate common name `fedoraproject.org' doesn't match requested
host name `mirrors.fedoraproject.org'.
To connect to mirrors.fedoraproject.org insecurely, use `--no-check-
certificate'.
Unable to establish SSL connection.
-----------------------------------
Adding --no-check-certificate does not seem to help:
-----------------------------------
[tim elizabeth ~]$ wget --no-check-certificate
https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink
--2009-07-17 13:06:22--  https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink
Resolving mirrors.fedoraproject.org... 209.132.176.122
Connecting to mirrors.fedoraproject.org|209.132.176.122|:443... connected.
WARNING: certificate common name `fedoraproject.org' doesn't match requested
host name `mirrors.fedoraproject.org'.
2009-07-17 13:06:23 ERROR 404: Not Found.
-----------------------------------

When I look at the http traffic on my server with wireshark
the file-request seems to be properly sent,
but the file is not found.

The symptoms seem to me (no http expert) to suggest
that there is some condition for seeing this file
that my system is not fulfilling.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net