Ranter or evangelist?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 14:55:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:51:39 -0430, Patrick wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 22:26 -0400, gilpel wrote:
> > Why is it that, when I insert an audio disk, I see it as an audio disk
> > on
> > my desktop, but when I click it, GNOME shows the .wav files that are
> > present. No application is suggested, even under "Open", to play the
> > damned music.
>
> Which part of "Fedora does not support proprietary formats" do you not
> understand? If you want .wav support, you need to add codecs from a
> non-Fedora repo.

Are you kidding? WAV is a non-proprietary container format, which very
often contains just raw PCM data which can be passed to audio output
hardware directly. Some WAV files contain Microsoft ADPCM, compressed data
which need a special decoder, but sox/aplay/libsndfile (all in Fedora)
support this format.