EVO conferencing software on Fedora 11

Rick Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 16:13:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 06:37 -0700, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have to use a collaboration application called EVO[1]. Their website
> says it requires SUN java, I have these installed.
>
> $ yum list installed \*java\*
> Installed Packages
> java-1.5.0-gcj.x86_64 		1.5.0.0-28.fc11		installed
> java-1.6.0-openjdk.x86_64 	1:1.6.0.0-22.b16.fc11	@updates
> java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin.x86_64 1:1.6.0.0-22.b16.fc11	@updates
> java_cup.x86_64			1:0.10k-2		installed
> tzdata-java.noarch		2009j-1.fc11		@updates
>
> When I try to start the client, FF downloads it(a .jnlp file) and offers
> to open with Icedtea but nothing happens. I don't want to make a mess of
> my system by installing the proprietary SUN JRE along with the fedora
> packages. Is there any way around this?
>
> I have to get this working by this Monday, so for now any short term
> solution would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.
>
> [1]http://evo.caltech.edu/evoGate/index.jsp
>
> PS: it works just fine with SUN JRE on Ubuntu 8.04 @ work so am I
> correct in assuming it is not working on this box as I don't have the
> proprietary JRE?
>
> --
> Suvayu

I do not know if your problem is similar to my problem with
www.elluminate.com.  Please see the thread with subject:
"Does Iced Tea Web Start work on Fedora 10? What about Fedora 11?"

I found I could install the 32-bit Sun JRE, jre-6u14-linux-i586.bin,
from Sun.com.  I could tell Firefox to use the javaws binary
after doing this install, to run the stuff at www.elluminate.com.

Similarly, I found I could get Java Web Start to download the
EVOPlayer when I told Firefox to use the javaws binary from
jre-6u14-linux-i586.bin.

The EVOPlayer started running, at which point I stopped it
as I probably am not authorized to go any further with it.

Please note: I am Fedora 10, X86_64,
uname -r
2.6.27.25-170.2.72.fc10.x86_64
I do not know if I would see the same results on Fedora 11
as I see on Fedora 10.

Is it proper etiquette for a person to reply to this mailing list
and Cc a particular person?

If it is proper etiquette, I'd suggest you ask Deepak Bhole.