Firefox complains while running, occasionally locks system at start

stan gryt2 at q.com
Sat Jul 18 16:08:04 UTC 2009

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 15:20:46 +0000
g <geleem at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> g wrote:
> > stan wrote:
> >
> >> If I run Firefox 3.5 on F11 x86_64 from a terminal as
> >> /usr/bin/firefox &
> >> the following messages come up on the terminal continuously:
> >
> > what happens if you run firefox without '&' ?
> >
> > what happens if you run firefox within your desktop?
>
> *in addition*, try;
>
> 'tools > error console' or <ctrl+shift+j> to look at your firefox
> error messages.
>
> if you have a lot of them, clear them out, close firefox and open
> from terminal again to see if errors will be recorded.
>
> after firefox crashes and you can open firefox in desktop, open
> firefox again and check to see what error messages you are getting.

There is no tools -> error console if started from a terminal.  If
started from the desktop it is present, but the warnings are all
reported as Declaration dropped.  If they correspond to the weak
reference warnings, then they probably are not serious.

The trouble is that when the error happens, there is no recovery except
hard interrupt reboot (NMI).  I've been thinking of compiling the kernel
with the swap kernel enabled, so when this happened the replacement
kernel would swap in and enable me to see what is going on.

Alternatively, I see that FF 3.5.1 just was released, so I'll probably
try it and see if it fixes the problem.

Thanks for your responses.