amaya in repos?

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 09:58:47 UTC 2009

Okay, my report on trying to compile Amaya for ppc.

On Jul 19, 2009, at 7:35 PM, Joel Rees wrote,

> Ed Greshko responded,
>> Joel Rees wrote:
>> > Amaya shows to be orphaned, last entry is Fedora 9:
>> >
>> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/amaya?
>> _csrf_token=1e50eca0476c3f20d764e66baf5cfd9654b11dc6
>> >

>> > Neither yum info nor yum search seem to find it. At least, not on a
>> > ppc machine.
>> >
>> > Have orphaned projects been removed?
>> >
>> > Would the best approach at this point be to download the source
>> from
>> > w3.org and build? Anybody use it? Care to comment? Especially,
>> > concerning the ability to enter Japanese?
>> >

>> Have you tried their rpm?
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/BinDist.html
>

> Thanks, Ed.
>
> I have a habit of building from source things that aren't in the
> distro packages.

And, now that I think of it, they don't have a binary for ppc.

> One of the source packages they provide comes with all the
> dependencies, and I don't recognize a couple of them. freetype and
> w3c-libwww were installed, redland was not, but was in the regular
> repos.
>
> Parts of Mesa seem to be installed, other parts seem to be n the
> repositories. I suppose the quickest way to find out if it's enough
> is to try building it.
>
> yum search wxWidgets gives me a list of stuff like bacula-console-
> wxwidgets, compat-wxGTK26,  and, hmm. Maybe that would be wxBase
> and wxGTK and wxGTK-gl and wxGTK-media, which are already installed.

I needed the -devel versions of gtk2 and Mesa-libGl (I think they
were) in addition to what I already had, then the configure script
ran to completion. Just to be helpful, I installed bison and the gnu
fortran compiler. And I think there was one other -devel package that
I had to intuit from the configure script's messages (using yum search).

> Anyway, it looks confusing, and I guess I was hoping there would be
> someone on the list here who has used it recently and could tell me
> the lay of the land before I wade in.
>
> Well, I guess I'll try building it after the family is all in bed.
> Or maybe set the build going now, before I start washing the
> dishes. Or maybe get the RPM, since it looks possible that I have
> all the dependencies, now that I've looked again.

Took me a little longer to get at it than I thought, but I did try
compiling, and ended up with a lot of compiler error messages about
things not declared correctly and such. Then the X11 session ran wild
and I had to use the virtual terminal to kill the entire X11 login
(KDE) to get it back. So I didn't get a chance to grab the error
messages this time.

Okay, this project goes on a back burner for a while. Maybe I'll use
a gnome session, since KDE on PPC feels a little fragile sometimes.

Or, maybe I'll try building it on my AMD box first.