Partitioning FC11 ??

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200907 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 10:08:17 UTC 2009

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> writes:
> Because I have lost entire installs when running lvm 3 damned times.

Are you sure it was lvm3 instead of say screwed up disk I/O?

My gripe with lvm3 is more philosophical -- it provides a silly service,
namely allowing me to combine the failure modes of all of my disks and
if any one of them fails, my FS is toast.  I just put a separate lmv3 on
each disk (in passive-aggressive fashion) and ignore that lvm is there.

(And yes, I did learn the hard way too when a 600Gig filesystem spanning
3 Seagate 200G disks developed an intermittent controller card on one of
the disks.)

> You (speaking generally) all thought it was hilarious when they decide
> to remap all the drives with the next iteration of the kernel and
> everyone using tar for backups needs to run 5-7 sessions the next day
> to restore order & get a fresh level 0 on everything.

;-)

I did quite a bit of head scratching figuring that one out too.

> Yeah, I know, this IS fedora, and we are supposed to bleed for the
> community good.  If I'm going to bleed, I want it to be something
> stupid _I_ did.

I guess my philosophy is the other way around.  If I'm going to trip
over a bug, I'd really prefer for it to be something some other person
has already entered into bugzilla.  It pays to be a sheep -- in the
center of the herd. ;-)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              Android 1.5 (Cupcake) and Fedora-11