Re: install F11 ON a USB-HDD

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Daniel Kirsten<Daniel Kirsten gmx net> wrote:
> When I try to boot from this USB-HDD, grub does not even start.
> I just see a blinking cursor, and then, the computer boots from the
> built in HardDisk.

Is grub installed in the USB drive's Master Boot Record?

I get something like this now and then on my own machine, because I
have a RAID controller that shows up as /dev/sdb, and an eSATA disk
that shows up as /dev/sda.  What happens to me sometimes is that my
Grub install on /dev/sdb gets clobbered, and then all I get is the
blinking cursor.  Re-installing Grub fixes it.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote dulcineatech com

   Dulcinea Technologies: Software of Elegance and Beauty.