Missing dictionary for ispell and aspell

When I try to use either ispell or aspell to check the spelling of words
in a file I get the error message:
Error: No word lists can be found for the language "en_US"

That has never happened before. How do I get the proper dictionary?
Politics are almost as exciting as war, and quite as dangerous. In war,
you can only be killed once. -- Winston Churchill