install F11 ON a USB-HDD, ... TERRIBLE

Daniel Kirsten Daniel.Kirsten at gmx.net
Mon Jul 20 19:15:05 UTC 2009

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:45:15 -0500
> Von: "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>
> An: "Community assistance, encouragement, 	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Betreff: Re: install F11 ON a USB-HDD,   ...  TERRIBLE

> Daniel Kirsten wrote:
> >> Dumb question - are you booting with the USB drive unplugged when
> >> you are working with the built-in drive? If not, boot without it
> >> plugged in so we can simplify the troubleshooting. I have not run
> >> into that error before.
> >>
> >> Mikkel
> >

> > I tried both,  it yields the same result.  I just see a blinking
> > cursor in text mode.
> >
> > I repartioned and formatted the USB-drive.   At the moment,  I transfer
> > all personal data from the built-in drive to the USB-drive.
> > Tomorrow, I will try to reinstall F10 and restore my personal data.....
> >
> Do an upgrade, not an install. (Upgrade to the same version.) The
> installer will fix Grub as part of the install.

yes,  I did this before I read your mail.   Now,  I can boot again.
I just have to compile my own kernel and rework some stuff.

(When I installed F10,  I downgraded libdrm and some packages
to get KDE running.   Of course, these packages are upgraded now.
I will fix this tomorrow.)

Best regards, Daniel

> Just to make sure you are doing what I think you are doing, let me
> give a quick outline.
>
> Boot off the install for CD for the version of Linux on the internal
> hard drive.
> Pick Rescue an installed system.
> Pick language and keyboard.
> Let it mount the file systems.