Firefox steals alsa audio

Danny Yee danny at anatomy.usyd.edu.au
Mon Jul 20 23:50:16 UTC 2009

When I left for work yesterday, sound was working.

When I came home audio in vlc had stopped working, and (interestingly)
system-config-soundcard wasn't working either.  lsof on /dev/snd/*
showed firefox using /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p (even though it was not playing
any audio or video).  Quitting firefox and killing pulseaudio got
vlc working again.

So my problem seems to be that firefox wants to take direct
control of the sound devices, even to the point of stopping
system-config-soundcard.  Is it possible to configure Firefox to talk
to pulseaudio?

But my problem is perhaps the motharboard Intel audio.  What would
people recommend as a cheap sound card that will work reliably
with Fedora?  (I think I have a spare PCI-E slot.)

Danny.