SELinux preventing D-Bus starting ConsoleKit etc - Was: F10 - pulseaudio not running

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 07:30:16 UTC 2009

2009/5/21 Mike Fleetwood <mike.fleetwood at googlemail.com>:
> Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>> Mike could you join me on irc #selinux on freenode and talk to me there
>> (dwalsh)?
>
> In summary Daniel talked me through checking out SELinux in more
> detail over IRC.  There was some sort of corruption with the SELinux
> targeted policy from my Fedora 8 to 10 upgrade a couple of months ago.
>  Reinstalled the targeted policy RPM and relabelled everything.
> ConsoleKit is now running and /sbin/service works.  I expect
> Pulseaudio will start and audacious play audio, but I am not at the
> console to login and check.

In case anyone runs into this problem, I was in a similar situation
with a Fedora 8 -> 10 -> 11 upgrade via preupgrade, which prevented me
logging even via gdm even in permissive mode with an error:
"Could not get name on session bus"
At which point I'd get sent back to the log in screen. Simply
relabelling (via /.autorelabel, fixfiles or restorecon) or yum
reinstall selinux-policy-targeted wasn't sufficient to fix it for me
and it turned out it was necessary to:
# yum erase selinux-policy-targeted
# mv /etc/selinux/targeted/modules /etc/selinux/targeted/modules.old
# yum install selinux-policy-targeted
Followed for good measure by rebooting into permissive mode with
relabelling.  The system now runs fine in enforcing mode.

--
imalone