FC11 Random lockups with Celeron 1GHz CPU.

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 17:46:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Peter Langfelder <
peter.langfelder at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Javier Perez <pepebuho at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > I am experiencing random lockups on my system. They started with FC10 and
> now I've had them about twice with FC11
> > First I thought the reason was the graphical drivers, but they continued
> (although less frequently) when I switched down to
> > work at level 3 on this pc.
> > Usually this pc works as a data server (music, photos) for my home but I
> use it ocasionally to troubleshoot other pc's at home.
> >
> > My PC is a
> > Intel Celeron socket 370 1GHz CPU
> > Biostar M6VLR board
> >   --VIA VT8601A(PLE133T) / VT82C686B chipset
> >   -- Trident Blade 3D Core integrated video.
> > 2MB RAM(PC 133 MHZ)
> >
> > I think I read among the release notes that the minimum requirement with
> be a Pentium processor,
> > I am not sure if one of the optimizations for Fedora is adversely
> affecting my Celeron system.
> > Would it go away I if recompile the Kernel?
> > What logs should I activate to try and catch out what is exactly causing
> the lockups. I do not remember
> > any particular activity that consistently causes the lock ups. I checked
> out RAM with Memtest86 and it doesn't show up any trouble.
> >

> I've had random lockups due to faulty memory chips and due to an
> unspecified "motherboard problem" (after that I didn't bother to try
> and fix the machine). A graphical driver bug will most likely kill the
> X server, but may not affect the kernel (and level 3 operation). You
> can run memtest to see whether there's anything wrong with your
> memory. If memtest hangs as well, I'd suspect a motherboard or power
> supply problem.
>
> HTH,
>
> Peter
>
> --

 Hi
I ran memtest for about 5 repetitions without problem. Maybe if I leave it
tonight overnight runnning memtest something will show up. I'll try. Just
let me get home first and i'll post the /var/log/message and /var/log/dmesg

Is there anyway to filter out all the ansi stuff in order to watch boot.log
? It's quite confusing to watch it with all the ANSI stuff in between.
--
/\_/\
|O O|  pepebuho at gmail.com
~~~~ Javier Perez