Vista Won't Boot From Grub Under F11

rgheck rgheck at comcast.net
Tue Jul 21 22:53:27 UTC 2009

I've just installed F11 on my wife's machine, which is some cheap
Gateway thing. Everything is working fine except that Vista (I'm hoping
to be able to get rid of it for her, but not yet...) will not boot from
grub. It starts to boot, then dies and dumps me into the System Recovery
thing. I was able to restore the MBR as Vista wants it to be, and then
it would boot fine again, and so I can use the popup boot chooser either
to boot Vista or to find my way into grub. But this is not really what I
want. I'd rather just use grub.

I've experimented there will various "root (hdx,y)" settings, but none
of them allow me to boot Vista: Same thing happens.

More info:
* Vista is on the first hard drive.
* There is a /boot partition on the second hard drive, which is also
where F11 lives.
* I've had to use acpi=off to get the keyboard and mouse to work (either
USB or PS/2).

There is something odd happening with the bios mappings. Although grub
is on the second hard drive, I have to use (hd0,0) for the splash image
and also for the "root" argument to get F11 to boot. Nonetheless, once
F11 does boot, its own drive appears as /dev/sdb.

The device.map nonetheless maps /dev/sda to (hd0) and /dev/sdb to (hd1).

Any helpful ideas?

Richard