Re: Vista Won't Boot From Grub Under F11

On 07/21/2009 07:28 PM, rgheck wrote:
On 07/21/2009 07:15 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:08:15 -0400
rgheck wrote:
I'm thinking maybe this is a consequence of having the boot partition on
the second drive?

I'm pretty sure all flavor windows have always been willing to boot
only from drive zero (or C: or however you want to talk about it).

Yes, but what I meant was: I've got both F11 and Vista on the SAME drive (first drive) of a different machine.

The section of this
http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/grub/html_chapter/grub_4.html
on DOS/Windows suggests a technique that can allow you to put Windows on some other disk. It may be that such a technique is also needed here, to compensate for (hdx) mapping weirdness.

So this ends up working for me:

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,1)
chainloader +1

Clearly, there's something weird about how grub is mapping the drives here. Is there something I can do with the device.map file to fix this? As I said before, I'm having to use "wrong" hdX specifications all over the place.

rh

Richard

rh