Vista Won't Boot From Grub Under F11

rgheck rgheck at comcast.net
Wed Jul 22 01:46:36 UTC 2009

On 07/21/2009 07:28 PM, rgheck wrote:
> On 07/21/2009 07:15 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:08:15 -0400
>> rgheck wrote:
>>> I'm thinking maybe this is a consequence of having the boot
>>> partition on
>>> the second drive?
>>
>> I'm pretty sure all flavor windows have always been willing to boot
>> only from drive zero (or C: or however you want to talk about it).
>>
> Yes, but what I meant was: I've got both F11 and Vista on the SAME
> drive (first drive) of a different machine.
>
> The section of this
> http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/grub/html_chapter/grub_4.html
> on DOS/Windows suggests a technique that can allow you to put Windows
> on some other disk. It may be that such a technique is also needed
> here, to compensate for (hdx) mapping weirdness.

So this ends up working for me:

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,1)
chainloader +1

Clearly, there's something weird about how grub is mapping the drives
here. Is there something I can do with the device.map file to fix this?
As I said before, I'm having to use "wrong" hdX specifications all over
the place.

rh

Richard