aspell rpm is defective.

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Wed Jul 22 07:51:02 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 21 Jul 2009 21:53:12 Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 17:46 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 Jul 2009 16:18:15 Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > No one responded to my question of the absence of dictionaries for
> > > aspell and ispell so I looked further.
> > >
> > > The aspell rpm at least through f9 put the dictionaries
> > > in /usr/lib/aspell-0.60/
> > >  They are not there or anywhere I can find in F11. Could someone
> > > confirm this so I can do a Bugzilla on aspell? Or maybe no one else
> > > cares.
> > >
> > > What is used in its place. Maybe huspell.
> >
> > My F11 netbook uses kde-fedora repos, so may be more up to date than
> > straight F11.  However, /usr/lib/aspell does have the dictionaries here.
> >  My aspell is 0.60
> >
> > Anne
>
> Well there is always something to learn. I created a kde.repo. My aspell
> is also aspell-o-60.6-5.fc11.i586 and the directory under /usr/lib is
> also aspell-0.60 but no dictionaries within. If the aspell on your
> system is later yum does not think so on my machine.
>
> I am boggled by the idea that kde has its own separate repository for
> f11. What would that be. I installed kde through the fedora repos so I
> would expect all kde updates would come from fedora repos.

kde-fedora is where packages are built for kde and go through a testing phase.
It's a bit like running a stable f11 with a rawhide kde, except that you can
choose which level you want to work at.  I have one system that has both the
unstable and unstable-testing enabled.  Packages that behave well and cause ew
problems go into the main fedora repo shortly after, so you are not missing
anything.

> Can someone explain all this? Especially since aspell is not a
> particularly kde product.

The kde-fedora repo has little to do with your aspell problem.  As has been
explained, the developer decided against putting a dictionary into the
package.  Now that may look nonsense to you, but to the rest of the world
having an en-US dictionary installed is not helpful. :-)

> Any further testimony on this matter. Is it Bugzilla time or not?

If you feel that the developer made a wrong decision, by all means tell him so
in bugzilla, but as I said, think about the rest of us.  As long as it is
documented that you have to install dictionaries, and it is, I personally
think that's OK.  I don't actually remember doing it, but obviously I must
have seen the documentation and done it, since it is working fine.

Anne