F11: kill -9 doesn't work

Hi,

I have noticed on several occasions, that running "kill -9 <pid>" on
a GUI 3D process that is locked at 100% CPU usage (X-Server 100% also)
does not work. The 100% lockup I'm sure is due to the currently buggy
3D support (ATI in my case), but I am surprised that I cannot kill
either the GUI or X processes. Only a reboot appears to work.

Has something changed here ??

Cheers

Terry