F11: kill -9 doesn't work

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Wed Jul 22 14:58:32 UTC 2009

On 07/22/2009 03:32 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:23:46AM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:01:50 +0100
>> Terry Barnaby wrote:
>>
>>> I know 3D is horribly broken in F11 :( as well as many other things,
>>> but I would have thought that kill -9 should still work ...
>> Not if it is stuck inside the kernel, kill -9 only kills things
>> as they come out of the kernel.
>
> And since the OP indicated he was using the ATI driver, I'd say this
> might be a classic case study in why proprietary, closed-source
> drivers are bad from the user's perspective too, not just the
> distro's.

I am using the standard OpenSource XOrg ATI driver "radeon" with the
appropriate DRM/Mesa bits as per a standard F11 release.
I have three other systems with F11 on them, some various
ATI chipsets and some Intel, all of these have 3D issues mainly
major ones with F11.
Certainly, in my opinion, F11 not suitable for 3D apps at the moment ...