Functional GIT on F11 ?

Aaron Gray aaronngray.lists at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 22 22:36:08 UTC 2009

2009/7/22 Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com>

> Aaron Gray wrote:
> > Yeah, I have asked git-svn Q's there before but not got any real
> > answers.
>
> :/
>
> > One last question if you have the answer.
> >
> > How do I use git-svn clone/fetch with bare repositories ?
> >
> > It just does not seem to work anyway round I try it.
>
> AIUI, git svn expects a non-bare repository.  But it seems that with a
> little effort you can convince it otherwise:
>
>    http://gsocblog.jsharpe.net/archives/12
>
> I use git svn to interact with a few upstream projects stuck on svn
> and what I've done is use git svn clone to setup a clone.  To work on
> that from a few places, I push from that clone into a bare git repo
> which I can then pull and push from on my other systems.
>
> Mostly though, I work on these projects from my laptop - the original
> git svn clone.  Since svn can't handle a non-linear history, I end up
> rebasing things in git before pushing them back to svn anyway, so I
> treat the master branch of the git svn clone as my final staging area.
> I tend to not make anything but trivial commits directly on master.
>
> My use case might not be as sophisticated as yours, so I may not have
> too many good suggestions for you. :)

Right I am not doing upstream commits back to svn luckily. I submit patches
which I prefer anyway as it keeps things simpler and safer; I really don't
want to corrupt a major software projects repository :)

Thanks again for the help and advice, I am going to do one of my ssh crib
sheets for git that I can cut and paste into the terminal, makes life
simpler, and less error prone. I was thinking I could allow the user to
enter their repository path then generate all the command lines for whatever
they want to choose, all with a little bit of Javascript, for a bit of
fun :)

Aaron