What is this .gvfs directory?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Jul 23 03:13:57 UTC 2009

Alan Cox wrote:
>> I see a message when I use rsync of tar to make backups, but I
>> interpreted this message as: "this directory is inaccessible, so it
>> won't be backed up" but I don't think that the backup is interrupted for
>> other directories. Is it?
>>
>> For me this directory is empty, so.... If other directories are saved, I
>> don't care.
>>

> In the case of rsync at least it breaks the --delete part of removing old
> stale files from the backup. Rsync has a paranoid and very sensible
> policy that errors mean do the sync but don't delete old stuff in case.

Sorry, but I lost the original thread where Tom Horsley
suggested to run the following script:

#!/bin/bash
#
if [ -f /usr/libexec/gvfs-fuse-daemon ]
then
   rm -f /usr/libexec/NOTgvfs-fuse-daemonNOT
   mv /usr/libexec/gvfs-fuse-daemon /usr/libexec/NOTgvfs-fuse-daemonNOT
fi

Before I ran the above script, I was previously able to
run a script that `tail'ed a file inside ~/.gvfs after the
the remote filesystem was  mounted.

When I ran the above script, tested it before reboot,
it *seemed* to work, but later when I rebooted my
system, my script can no longer 'tail' the file-path
inside ~/.gvfs and also I see no contents therein.

Tom, can you please tell me how to restore
what I had before running this script?

Thanks-
Dan