F11 GNOME: How to get the terminal bell back?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Jul 23 13:41:26 UTC 2009

In both plain old xterm and gnome-terminal, the terminal bell (e.g. from
tab completion, "ping -a", etc.) is now captured by GNOME and plays a
sound effect instead of just beeping the PC speaker.  I guess that's
nice if you like sound effects and/or your PC speaker doesn't work, but
I want the plain old beep back?  How do I get that?

If I go to Preferences->Sound, I can only change the sound effect or
disable it; I can't get the PC speaker to beep.  I guess I'd like to
leave the GNOME "alert sound" to a sound effect (I don't really care
about it); I just want my xterms to beep at me like they have for the
last 18 years.

The sound effects really suck for "ping -a"; they are all a little too
long (most of the time), so instead of a regular beep-per-second, you
get intermittent sound effects and silence.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>