F10 automatic F10 upgrades to F11?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Jul 23 14:24:31 UTC 2009

Kam Leo wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Daniel B. Thurman<dant at cdkkt.com> wrote:
>
>> Paul W. Frields wrote:

>>> FWIW, the following page (and links) may help
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_PreUpgrade
>>>
>>> If you can provide a more detailed bug filed against preupgrade, I
>>> know there are some folks who would love to improve the experience of
>>> preupgrade.  I was just talking to them last week, matter of
>>> fact... :-)
>>>
>>> I know problems currently exist with exotic configurations like /boot
>>> volume on RAID, and one of the things I've suggested is to look for
>>> these cases and then have preupgrade apologize and bail out before
>>> doing anything else.
>>>

>> I have been at the suggested link before, tried it, and it
>> does not seem to change anything other than I have
>> cleaned up a lot of things in the F10 filesystem as
>> suggested.  It did not seem to change the outcomes
>> of the failed upgrade process as far as I can tell.
>>
>> What else can I provide by way of "more details"?
>> Is there something I have left out?
>>
>> As for filesystem layout:
>> /dev/sda2: ntfs:            29.31GB            /w2kPro
>> /dev/sda4: extd:            160.61GB
>> /dev/sda5: ntfs:            29.29GB            /w-App1
>> /dev/sda6: ntfs:            29.29GB            /w-App2
>> /dev/sda7: ext3:            196.08GB         /boot
>> /dev/sda8: crypt-luks:    101.82GB        /root (lvm)
>>
>> Keep in mind that the above sdaX is not sequentially
>> labeled due to the use of gparted and manipulation
>> of the partitions from a previous configuration prior
>> to installation for F10 at the time. Dunno if this
>> is a big deal or not...
>>
>> As for grub:
>> # cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
>> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
>> #
>> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
>> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
>> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
>> #          root (hd0,6)
>> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
>> #boot=/dev/sda
>> default=saved
>> timeout=5
>> splashimage=(hd0,6)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>> #hiddenmenu
>> title Fedora (2.6.27.25-170.2.72.fc10.i686)
>>   root (hd0,6)
>>   kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.25-170.2.72.fc10.i686 ro
>> root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
>>   initrd /initrd-2.6.27.25-170.2.72.fc10.i686.img
>>   savedefault
>> title Windows 2000
>>   rootnoverify (hd0,1)
>>   chainloader +1
>>   savedefault
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Dan
>>
> For some reason the installer is having problems with your graphics
> card. At boot prompt type "linux xdriver=vesa". If that fails try
> [...]
I have tried what you have suggested, i.e. to use the vesa driver.

I notice that in this case, I was able to see "Checking dependencies
in packages selected for installation..." progressbar @100%, and
very hung.  Mouse movement is dead, keyboard, dead, everything
I threw at it except the kitchen sink, dead. :)

Now what do you suggest I do (and buying a new computer is not
an option! ;) )?