will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Jul 23 17:56:12 UTC 2009

  apologies for the unduly harsh tone but, seriously, will there ever
be radeon drivers available for fedora that aren't complete junk?
this has been going on for some time now, and nothing's changed.

  currently, on my 1280x800 display gateway laptop, i need to run the
vesa driver and get only 1024x768 because, if i try to run the radeon
driver, i'll get my full resolution, and my session will last maybe
10-15 minutes before finally locking up, at which point the only
response i can get is moving the mouse around the screen verrrrrry
slowly but nothing else, requiring a power cycle.  (the vesa driver
will, of course, work perfectly for days on end.)

  it's been like this since early in the f11 test cycle, and it
depresses me to think i'll still be fighting with this when the first
cut of f12 comes out.

  what's the story on video drivers these days?  and why are they such
unmitigated trash?

</rant>

rday

"Kernel Newbie Corner" column @ linux.com:          http://cli.gs/WG6WYX