will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

Julian Aloofi julian.fedoralists at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 24 10:23:35 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 23.07.2009, 20:13 -0400 schrieb John Mellor:
> This is a Fedora-killer.  Nothing should be higher priority.
>
> Is there any way to get Radeon HD support as a mandatory blocking issue
> into F12 ?  If the incredibly bad situation is not fixed by F12 with
> compiz and 3D gaming and everything else working correctly, then
> probably the only people who will be left running Fedora will be on
> laptops with their very low-end graphics, and some NVidia proprietary
> driver users.
>
> If it can't be fixed in that timeframe, is it possible to revert back to
> the old DRI interfaces so that the proprietary ATI drivers will work
> again?
>
> I can test, but not if it is going to hose my machine in a way that
> cannot be easily recovered from.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time
> available to code, as my real job takes priority.

As soon as the Fedora 12 Alpha is released we could start another test
day for radeon cards. We could contact the original initiators and ask
them if they'd like to join us. The most important thing is that we will
need at least one person experienced with radeon driver hacking, do you
know one? When the Alpha is released one of us should contact Dave
Airlie and ask him whether he has the time to do the dirty work.
I didn't know the radeon situation is that bad, I guess I'm just lucky
having the right card (Radeon HD 2600).