no hardware acceleration?

From glxinfo:
direct rendering: Yes

OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer

I guess that the second means I don't have hardware aceleration.
What does the first one mean?

From sysinfo:/ :
Display Info
Vendor: Mesa Project
Model: Software Rasterizer
Driver: 2.1 Mesa 7.1 rc1

No mention of my geforce graphics card (GX5200LE 128 MB AGP).

Would this sort of thing cause mplayer and ffplay to freeze?
Each of them last a couple before seconds before freezing.
ffplay keeps a little over 1% of the cpu.
Don't remember about mplayer.

The card is not the same kind as the original.
A year or so ago, I destroyed the original installing a disk drive.
I've not deliberately done anything to edit
my graphics infrastructure since then.
I have installed Fedora 9 since then.

--
Michael   hennebry web cs ndsu NoDak edu
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.