will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 24 15:05:50 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 7/24/09, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
> Subject: Re: will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Friday, July 24, 2009, 2:09 AM
> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Hiisi wrote:
>
> > > Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:56:12 -0400 (EDT)
> > > From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
>
> > >   currently, on my 1280x800
> display gateway laptop, i need to run
> > > the vesa driver and get only 1024x768 because, if
> i try to run the
> > > radeon driver, i'll get my full resolution, and
> my session will
> > > last maybe 10-15 minutes before finally locking
> up, at which point
> > > the only response i can get is moving the mouse
> around the screen
> > > verrrrrry slowly but nothing else, requiring a
> power cycle.  (the
> > > vesa driver will, of course, work perfectly for
> days on end.)
>
> > Had similar problem with screen resolution running
> vesa driver.
> > Check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf In section "Screen",
> subsection
> > "Display" in line Modes add "1280x800" and restart
> X-server. That
> > (probably) will do the task.
>
>   currently, my xorg.conf file is the extremely
> spartan:
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>         Option "DontZap" "false"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier "Videocard0"
>         Driver "vesa"
> EndSection
>
> which gives me perfectly functional 1024x768.  and i
> remember trying
> various combinations to try to get to 1280x800 and
> failing.  if you
> can give me an exact setting for xorg.conf to try, i'll
> give it a
> shot.  but i recall messing with that for a while and
> never getting
> vesa at 1280x800.  i'm definitely open to
> suggestions.
>
> rday
> --

Run
$ su -
passwd:
# Xorg -configure
Test X with the command given

If X works without problems but you still want vesa change to vesa.  After Each Depth 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 24
if possible add the line
Modes "1280x800"

This should work.  I have had stubborn machines, and I have gotten them to work at the mode(s) I want by doing this.

Regards,

Antonio