Re: 'Splain please re: mixer, alsa, pulseaudio and tvtime??

William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> My problem is not yet with tvtime but my question trail starts there.
>
> tvtime has been upgraded to use alsa for sound rather than OSS.  To do
> that I need to re-set  <option name="MixerDevice" value="default/Line"/>
> to something like mixer="DEVICE[:CH]" e.g hw:0/CD; where DEVICE = hw:0
> and [:CH] = /CD.
>
> ls /dev/mixer no longer exists.  Where does tvtime find DEVICE and where
> do I find DEVICE?  How do I know it is the new name of the mixer?
>
> Which channel [:CH] do I use?  Is it from the same list as tvtime.xml
> suggests for OSS or is it a different list?  Given that I have an
> internal sound card on a PCIe bus how would I go about deducing which
> channels to try first?

You can run amixer scontrols to get a list of simple mixer control
names. (running amixer controls will give the long names.) You can
also get information by running amixer info. You can also run
aplay -l or aplay -L to get a list of sound cards.

Mikkel