cdrkit isoinfo and iso-info

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jul 24 22:43:52 UTC 2009

Nikola Pajkovsky wrote:
> Hi fellows,
>
>    I'm trying resolve problem with cdkit, isoinfo and iso-info(libcdio).
> cdrkit with his isoinfo don't implement Joliet and Rock Ridge. I have a
> bug(enhance) to make support for isoinfo and utf-8. I think it's waste
> of my time to make support utf-8 in isoinfo because iso-info support it.
>
> Here is my solution.
>
> 1. Implement support utf-8 in isoinfo(waste of my time)
> 2. Disable isoinfo in cdrkit and put into spec file dependency to
> libcdio and make symlink from iso-info to isoinfo( it's nasty solution,
> but easy )
>
> Does anybody have problem with point 2?

I don't think it's a good idea to mix and match parts of packages, since people
who install cdrkit really are likely to want the package with all the warts, and
not something similar. And the mash would have to be maintained through all
upstream change to both packages.

Fedora does this with cdrecord, putting some package called 'token' or 'hokum'
or some such in place of the real package by that name from the author who wrote
it and has maintained it for 15 years. Every time I have to download and install
the real version I question the ethics of using a different program which is
subtly different instead of just leaving it out totally. I believe token is a
hack of what cdrecord was about seven years ago.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>