F11 Sound without PulseAudio ?

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 22:49:21 UTC 2009

On 07/24/2009 03:32 PM, Chris wrote:
> 2009/7/24 Bill Davidsen<davidsen at tmr.com>:
>
>> Anyone who reads this list will know I despise PA totally, but vlc has
>> worked fine for me  using PA, in FC11, in FC11 running in a VM under FC9 KVM
>> (from cli) and in FC9.
>>

> Hi Bill. There was a discussion on this list a couple of hours ago in
> which someone rightly pointed out that PA gets a lot of undeserved
> flak for issues which aren't actually its fault - not to say that it
> doesn't have issues of course! It's often the case that disabling or
> uninstalling PA causes sound to start working which naturally makes
> one think that PA was at fault, but there are other layers involved in
> the confusing world of Linux audio.
>
> Anyway, other than defending PA which is clearly not perfect as yet,
> I'd like to try to be helpful! You say that VLC works whilst other
> applications do not. Am I right to assume that PA is running whilst
> VLC is working? If that's the case then PA is unlikely to be the cause
> of your audio problems. Certainly for me, if PA is running, no sound
> works at all but I know this is because of a misconfiguration with my
> audio card that I don't know how to fix.
>
> It sounds to me like your problem is in the application layer. What
> applications are you having problems with? What desktop are you
> running? Apologies if I'm repeating advice you've already had but I
> haven't seen any of your threads before and I'm just a user who's had
> a lot of audio problems over the years, not an expert! Here's a bunch
> of rpms you might try installing to provide full sound support:
>
> phonon-backend-gstreamer
> phonon-backend-xine
> (I've had issues with the xine backend so if you've got it installed,
> you could try removing it)
> phonon
> phonon-devel
> gstreamer-plugins-good
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly
> gstreamer-plugins-flumpegdemux
> gstreamer-tools
> gstreamer-python
> gstreamer-plugins-bad
> gstreamer-plugins-bad-extras
> gstreamer
> gstreamer-ffmpeg
> gstreamer-plugins-base
> ffmpeg
>
> HTH, Chris.

While I accept the fact the PA  does indeed "work", my problem with it is
that the PA daemon was consuming upt 35% of my CPU!
I do not care how "well" PA worked as far as producing sound.
I DO care when it eats 35% of my CPU!!
I happily killed the PA daemon and have never been sorry I did so.
I do not understand why it is enabled by default.