cdrkit isoinfo and iso-info

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 24 22:58:47 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 7/24/09, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
> Subject: Re: cdrkit isoinfo and iso-info
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Friday, July 24, 2009, 3:43 PM
> Nikola Pajkovsky wrote:
> > Hi fellows,
> >
> >    I'm trying resolve problem with cdkit,
> isoinfo and iso-info(libcdio). cdrkit with his isoinfo don't
> implement Joliet and Rock Ridge. I have a bug(enhance) to
> make support for isoinfo and utf-8. I think it's waste of my
> time to make support utf-8 in isoinfo because iso-info
> support it.
> >
> > Here is my solution.
> >
> > 1. Implement support utf-8 in isoinfo(waste of my
> time)
> > 2. Disable isoinfo in cdrkit and put into spec file
> dependency to libcdio and make symlink from iso-info to
> isoinfo( it's nasty solution, but easy )
> >
> > Does anybody have problem with point 2?
> >
> I don't think it's a good idea to mix and match parts of
> packages, since people who install cdrkit really are likely
> to want the package with all the warts, and not something
> similar. And the mash would have to be maintained through
> all upstream change to both packages.
>
> Fedora does this with cdrecord, putting some package called
> 'token' or 'hokum' or some such in place of the real package
> by that name from the author who wrote it and has maintained
> it for 15 years. Every time I have to download and install
> the real version I question the ethics of using a different
> program which is subtly different instead of just leaving it
> out totally. I believe token is a hack of what cdrecord was
> about seven years ago.
>
> -- Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>

FYI,

the name of the package is

wodim --> for cdrecord
genisoimage --> for mkisofs
icedax --> for cdda2wav

The cdrkit suite replaced cdrtools which was the original :)

http://www.cdrkit.org/

This came from Debian and transferred over to other distros.  If anyone wants to use the original, it can be obtained from :

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

I am running slightly older version a59 current version is a61 :)

[root at blackP4 ~]# /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord --version
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a59 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2009 J�rg Schilling

IMHO
it is wise to keep the two living side by side(if you decide to install the original).  This way you get to use the one you need for a certain task.  i.e, if one gets rid of cdrkit, we cannot use livecd tools/creator because it is a dependency.  k3b does find the cdrecord(original) and promotes it to default if installed.  So no problems there.

Regards,

Antonio