cdrkit isoinfo and iso-info

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 24 23:15:02 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 7/24/09, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> From: Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>
> Subject: Re: cdrkit isoinfo and iso-info
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Friday, July 24, 2009, 3:53 PM
> On 07/25/2009 04:13 AM, Bill Davidsen
> wrote:
>
> > Fedora does this with cdrecord, putting some package
> called 'token' or
> > 'hokum' or some such in place of the real package by
> that name from the
> > author who wrote it and has maintained it for 15
> years. Every time I
> > have to download and install the real version I
> question the ethics of
> > using a different program which is subtly different
> instead of just
> > leaving it out totally. I believe token is a hack of
> what cdrecord was
> > about seven years ago.
>
> Very inaccurate. Wodim is a fork of cdrecord in 2006 and
> the fork was a
> direct result of the cdrecord author changing some of the
> files into the
> CDDL license and thereby creating a license incompatibility
> that caused
> the source to be non redistributable (Except by the
> author). Since a
> number of programs have traditionally called the cdrecord
> binary
> directly, wodim installs a symlink for backward
> compatibility. More
> details at the following references.
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/195167/
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/199061/
>
> Rahul
>

> --

Somewhat accurate, but problems were between between Debian/Debian packagers and Joerg.  The GPL was not helping out Joerg in anyway(like it is now forcing Micro$oft to release those 20,000 lines of code) and He(Joerg) decided that he needed a better license and moved to the CDDL which is/was a license setup by Sun.  People took advantage of code and were not held liable/responsible and the author took a different route.  This is why things happen like they do.

As a matter of fact, some linux distributions still have original cdrtools in their distros and have no problems with anyone.  But this is another thing.

In this situation and for the original poster, it would be recommended that he keep things as they are and not get into problems/incompatibilities.  cdrkit while not the original does a decent job, I like the comparision like Coke and Pepsi, I like to drink Coke, but if not available I can drink the Pepsi without troubles :)

Regards,

Antonio