From the top... how do I get sound working in F11 ?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jul 24 23:31:09 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> Linuxguy123 wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 12:15 -0700, Kam Leo wrote:

>> What is Fedora expecting us to use and what do we need to do to get it
>> working ?
>>
>> Thanks
> ----
> Fedora was expecting to use PulseAudio but you removed that as your
> predicate. That puts you with a vocal minority who would rather gripe
> about pulse audio than make it work so it will be up to them to tell you
> how to solve the sound issues that you 'fixed' by removing pulseaudio
> package.

Good, then point us to the documentation which describes how to make the
alsamixer, advanced mixer, PA volume and tabs, and anything else which might
clarify how to use the four or five sound apps which all interact with each
other in such a way that sound works without days of fiddling which stop working
at the next upgrade. PA is too damn fragile to use unless you are one of the few
who has it work out of the box.

PA should have been an option for whoever has the bizarre obscure problem PA
solves. And I have not been able to get any reasonable input from mic or line
with PA on any of five systems, three of which work with SuSE, or Ubuntu, or
Slackware (that's what the users changed to).

If it doesn't work out of the box there are no tools to ever make it work, which
is why PA should be in the toybox, not the default.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>