[Slightly OT] Re: Ranter or evangelist?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jul 25 00:20:03 UTC 2009

gilpel at altern.org wrote:

>> Nobody said that. What people are trying to tell you is that Fedora
>> is aimed at people that like to try new things, and help fix then
>> when they break.
>
> That's what rawhide is for. I see no purpose in releasing a final version
> with, for instance, Brasero not working, and Totem not much either, I'm
> afraid.

Rawhide is just the first step in testing. The way I think of it is
that rawhide is alpha testing for the next release. Updates-testing
is alpha test for the current release. The current release of Fedora
is beta testing. The finished product is the Redhat Enterprise
Edition and its derivatives are the finished produce.

> See my last posrt entitled "Why Fedora is for experts only?" and tell me
> who benefits from having no pause to choose a kernel. Whenever I'm proved
> wrong, I confess my error. Until then, I stand my ground whatever some
> "experts" may say.

You need to pick better subjects - I already deleted that thread as
not being something I was interested in. So I don't know what you
are talking about. Did it stick to one topic, or was it a long
rambling rant where the actual problem was only a small part of it?

I probably haven't seen the problem, what ever it is, because I do
no run a stock grub.conf - I happen to like to see system messages
instead of a fancy boot screen. But I also like to see the POST
messages from the BIOS, while the current trend seams to be to cover
those up too.

Mikkel