vnc and inetd

Chris Kottaridis chriskot at quietwind.net
Sat Jul 25 11:20:15 UTC 2009

Well, I figured it out. One of the steps of the xdmvnc.html page was to
edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf if your system runs gdm. But, I couldn't find
that file anywhere so I just changed the KDM file which I  could find.
Doing a ps shows I am running gdm-binary and searching the man pages
shows there is a gdmsetup gui based command to configure gdm. So, I ran
it and enabled "Remote". I rebooted and now I get the login window when
I vnc view my host. Which is what I was trying to accomplish.

I tried to strace gdmsetup to see if it would open the gdm.conf file,
but it seems to make a socket conenction to some daemon that actually
manages the file. I ran find over / looking for a file named gdm.conf
and it came back with no matches. So, I still don't know where this file
is, but I seem to have a way to get it enabled so I am off to the races.

It also mentions to modify the xfs configure file, but I don't seem to
be running a font server, at least there is no /etc/init.d/xfs script to
start the thing up. So far I haven't noticed it being a problem, so
maybe it isn't absolutely required. I'll keep poking around though.

Thanks
Chris