Hardware recommendations for a 64bit kvm server?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Sat Jul 25 16:11:57 UTC 2009

On 07/23/2009 02:16 AM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> Suggestions on motherboards etc for running 2-4 virtual machines for
> general purpose uses (suppliers in Australia would be good!).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.

I'm using Intel G45ID motherboards for 8 servers in a lab at work.
Checp, supports full virt (KVM) as well as Xen (we primarily use RHEL at
work, not Fedora), they seem to be *very* fast, and they were a snap to
set up.

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DG45ID/DG45ID-overview.htm

We just happen to be running Intel E8500 (dual core, 3.16GHz)
processors, but quad core are available for this board.

We're running 8GB memory on each system.  The lab is *very* popular on
my team, the systems are quite snappy.

Total cost for each system, including a 2U case and power supply as well
as an extra GB NIC for bonding was around $800USD.  Very affordable.

Thomas