fedora 11 worst then ever release

Dmitrij S. Kryzhevich krege_lists at sibmail.com
Sat Jul 25 16:16:14 UTC 2009

> first of all i use linux since '94 so i've seen a few releases.
Hm...

> there is no way to properly upgrade from the latest release to the next
release!
Since 94? "yum upgrade".

> on system where anaconda do not crash f10 update's yum newer then on f11
> iso's so the installer do not upgrade yum!
Sure. It is in continues development. On Fedora you must know what
installation DVD is for.

> longer works. as the installer do not upgrade kernel-devel akmods not able
> to rebuild kernel module for nvidia and ati so X not able to start.
There are no fglrx for F11. Sad but true. Thise is what you must to know too.
So, akmod is installed, but kmod can't be compiled. It is a real problem, it
is exist, but no X with fglrx, but radeon(hd) or even vesa - all for you. Just
edit (nano? vi?) /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

> but without networkmanager
system-config-network-tui is present on DVD.

> all of my system has a wrong openssl version
How did you manage it?

> there was some python 2.5 abi problem.
F11 have Python 2.6. You have your system partial updated. But it could be
fixed.

> how can a system critical tool like yum depend on such a broken thing like
> python?
It just works.

> after i update by hand a few dozen of packages with rpm yum start to work.
Yes! I knew it! Partial update.

> after i already install f11 yum show 2069 packages to update!!! just one
> month after the release! my system consist of 2059
> packages at the same time yum download 2069 packages to update! what the
> hell i doing??? why do i upgrade the system for a half days if i upgrade
> all of my packages. why do i need a dvd iso? this download is more then the
> whole iso!
OK. When Fedora prepare to releas mainterners freez package versions. They
create iso's. But (suddenly) developers release a new version of there
product. Will it be updated in Fedora DVD iso? Of cause, not. Then, developers
of second package released it stuff, third, forth... Yum updated, KDE updated,
DeviceKit updated, R updated. Opensource world is in development, continues
development. In updates repo you can find newer packages, than presented on the
moment of Fedora releas. So, it completly normal. I think, it is not just
normal, it's greate!

> the sound no longer works!
And it is a problem.  It need to be resolved, I'm agree with you.

> and the firefox and thunderbird betas...
Sorry. Don't use them.

> on a simple on borad intel video card X/gnome crash daily.
May be hardware problem?

> and i could be list many other problems.
Cindly ask you to do it. This could help to develop Fedora, make it better
with future releases.

> and tend to agree with dag that fedora is not suitable even for the
> desktop/workstation world.
Dag is wrong. Sorry, Dag.

> and i can't say anything those ubuntu users who
> said it's working in ububtu:-(
Just look at Ubuntu bagzilla.

> if rhel 6 will be released i'll push a new company policy
Hm... sometimes rhel _will_ release. You can begin to prepare a draft of that
policy.

> a really angry fedora user.
Happy Fedora user :)

And my experience. Have upgraded couple copms from 10 to 11, couple from 9 to
11 (yes, in documentation written it is not supported at all) and nothing
suprising occurs. Sound playing, video showing, Konqueror prowl the Internet
oceans.

The only one thing: plymouth start theme in F10 is better in my opinion then
in F11 one.

--

Regards,
Dmitrij S. Kryzhevich