Re: What the hell are these dirs?

On 09-07-25 10:18:47, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-07-25 at 08:25 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > Why assume? Why not just look at how many there are?
>
> Because the "ls" never completes and eventually bombs out with a "too
> many files" error.  So, though I am assuming, it's not really an
> assumption.  :)

Perhaps it would help to not sort the output:

    ls -U | wc

should give the number of files without needing to sort them.

In any case, the directories large size (in the OP) shows that at least
at one time they had a large number of files.  A `rm -rf` command might
take a while to complete if they still do.

If deleting them with `rm -rf` doesn't work and the `find` approach is
too slow, it might help to delete them in batches:

    find . -type f -exec rm -f '{}' +