networkManager is killing me

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sat Jul 25 21:09:53 UTC 2009

Your very first step is to Google and find a website that can tell you
how to set up a wireless access point and resolve connectivity problems.
You can also find a number of excellent books to read, also devoted to
wireless access. Google is your friend. I think those other websites and
other books can offer you a lot of help if you will have the patience to
read them and work through the advice they offer.

Another friend is researching old mailing list emails. I don't delete my
old emails. They are much too valuable. I save them and then search my
email folders when a problem hits to see who had my issue. Someone,
somewhere, had the same issue and dealt with it effectively.

Go Google...

Bob

On 07/25/2009 04:22 PM, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> good point(s).  Any thoughts on trying to debug this?
>

>>    You are not giving any useful information here to help resolve the
>> problem. What you are doing is just blaming NetWorkManager and asking if
>> drastic solutions fit the unstated problem. The problem may not be
>> NetworkManager, but something quite different.
>>
>> I never have a connectivity problem with NetWorkManager in Fedora 11
>> x86_64 on a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop. I've done nothing special. I
>> just wireless away and surf to my heart's content. If I need to do heavy
>> downloads I connect a cable and download away. Works smooth as you could
>> want.
>>
>> I have noted that people using Microsoft Windows software drivers have
>> problems with some Intel wireless adapters such as the Wireless 5300 a/g/n.
>>
>> or
>>
>> in environments where there are numerous access points with the ssid
>> "linksys". So what I'm saying is, look into resolving possible
>> connectivity issues that may have little or nothing to do with
>> NetWorkManager.
>>

>> Bob Cochran
>>
>> On 07/25/2009 03:04 PM, Kevin Kempter wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all;
>>>
>>> since the last networkManager update I've been having increasing lockups.
>>> It's now at the point where more often than not I boot my machine (Dell
>>> M6400 running Fedora 10 x86_64), login and within a minute or two the
>>> machine locks up and shuts off.
>>>
>>> The only way I can work now for more than a few minutes is to disable
>>> wireless in networkManager.
>>>
>>> I need to fix this today, I'm thinking about one of the following (which
>>> are all ugly, time consuming options):
>>>
>>> 1) backup my data and install Fedora 11
>>> 2) backup my data and install Kubuntu