What the hell are these dirs?

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Sun Jul 26 04:26:10 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 02:22 +0000, g wrote:
> i believe the main thing he needs to do is clean them up on a regular
> bases.

I will start doing that.  It just sucks I never noticed this earlier.

> i believe biggest part of problem is that gnome-player does not clean
> up files, as it is acting like ms explorer creating cache files.
>
> not using gnome-player, much less gnome, i also wonder why the directories
> and files are being created. sounds like gnome-player is creating something
> so that it can play various files.

This is what has me most baffled.  Why did gnome-mplayer created
hundreds of thousands of jpegs in those dirs?  I certainly didn't ask it
to do that (certainly not on purpose, but then I don't know who I could
have done that by mistake).

Incidentally, the onle cache option I see for gnome-mplayer is for
streaming, and that's only the initial buffer before beginning play
back.

If this is default behaviour, the damn app should have an option
built-in for clearing out the cache dirs.

BTW, I'm running this command, as suggested by an earlier poster:

find . -type f -exec rm -fv '{}' +

It's been running just about all day.  There appears to be no end in
sight.  There has got to be a faster way to do this.  Can't I create a
sparse file or swap file or something, over that location and wipe it
clean that way?

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.27.25-170.2.72.fc10.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux