What the hell are these dirs?

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 26 08:15:45 UTC 2009

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

> This is what has me most baffled.  Why did gnome-mplayer created
> hundreds of thousands of jpegs in those dirs?

forgot you mentioned jpegs. no telling why.

i do not use gnome-player, does gnome-player do video?

if audio only, is there any graphic display happening while player is running?

have you tried to open a file to see just what is in it?

> It's been running just about all day.  There appears to be no end in
> sight.

some time ago, i was doing some database work that created hundreds files
and 'rm -fR *' would not kill them because there were too many.

to get passed problem, i created a script to break file deleting into groups
on order of;

  rm -fR [0-9]*;rm -fR [a-l]*;rm -fR [m-z]*;rm -fR [A-L]*;rm -fR [M-Z]*

i had to break it down into smaller groups like [0-4], [5-9], [a-f], [g-l],
[m-r], [t-z], [A-F], [G-L], [M-R], [T-Z]. not exact, but i believe you can
see how i did it. after i worked up correct grouping, it ran rather fast.

hth.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.