F11: kill -9 doesn't work

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Sun Jul 26 08:19:37 UTC 2009

On 07/26/2009 12:46 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 22:24:57 +0100
> Terry Barnaby<terry1 at beam.ltd.uk>  wrote:
>
>> On 07/25/2009 09:03 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:

>>> I dunno. Perhaps the oldest code in Unix is the code that
>>> generates corefile, and you've never been able to kill -9
>>> that once a process starts coredumping multiple gigabytes
>>> over a slow NFS link. I wish they'd put a check in there :-).
>>>
>> At least that would finish eventually and the system
>> would continue running :)
>
> Linux fixed that one. You can also core dump to dump directory, or
> through a core dumper helper application.
I must admit the state of the Fedora 11 release has pushed me further
to the point of view that we need a sea change in OS/programming
design. Things seem to have got over complicated and convoluted with
to many undocumented layers and many ways of doing the same thing
adding to the complexity. The state of a Linux release to the end
user (and developer) does not seem to have improved much in the last
4 years. It seems, to me, that a plateau has been reached, with many
changes occurring, but things not improving....

Mind you it does look visually different (if you like that sort
of thing) :)