what is the purpose of libgcc-4.4.0-4.i586?

Hi,

                When from tried gcc command it gives me the message saying command not found.

When I tried to check if gcc rpm package is installed or not I get “libgcc-4.4.0-4.i586”

What is this library used for?

root kaushik ~> gcc

-bash: gcc: command not found

root kaushik ~> rpm -qa | grep gcc

libgcc-4.4.0-4.i586

Then I thought let me add the path in my PATH environment variable. So I search for :

root kaushik ~> whereis gcc

gcc: /usr/libexec/gcc

But when I went to this path I found only a file name cc1.

root kaushik /usr/libexec/gcc/i586-redhat-linux/4.4.0> ls

cc1

What is file cc1 contain?  What is the use of this file?

The fedora version I am using is :

~> cat /etc/fedora-release

Fedora release 11 (Leonidas)

Tried to get the gcc using yum update.

root kaushik ~> sudo yum install yum-plugin-fastestmirror

Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit

Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again

root kaushik ~> sudo yum install yum-presto

Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit

Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again

Thnx&rgds,

Kaushik